The Mended Hearts, Inc. Inclusivity/Diversity Statement
Appendix 1.17. MHI Statement and Policy on Diversity (approved 9/6/2017)
Mended Hearts and Mended Little Hearts are committed to fostering, cultivating and preserving a culture of diversity and inclusion. Our mission to provide support to all patients and families affected by heart disease is reached by respect for each person. To fully accomplish our mission and live by our values, we strive to fulfill our commitment to diversity and inclusion through our programs, organizational structure, policies, board of directors, staff, donors, goals, and vision.
We embrace, respect and encourage differences in age, color, disability, ethnicity, family or marital status, gender identity or expression, language, national origin, physical and mental ability, political affiliation, race, religion, sexual orientation, socio-economic status, veteran status, and other characteristics amongst our employees and volunteers.
Mended Hearts and Mended Little Hearts diversity initiatives are applicable—but not limited—to our practices and policies on:
- Recruitment and selection; compensation and benefits; professional development and training; promotions; transfers; social and recreational programs; layoffs; terminations; and the ongoing development of a work environment built on the premise of gender and diversity equity that encourages and enforces
- Recruitment and selection of volunteer board of director members to reflect the diverse population we serve
- Respectful communication and cooperation between all individuals within the organization
- Teamwork and participation, permitting the representation of all groups and perspectives
- Work/life balance through flexible work schedules to accommodate employees’ varying needs
- Contributions to the communities we serve to promote a greater understanding and respect for diversity.